The client is a University Medical Center recognized as one of the best healthcare institutions in the USA. After a recent EMR implementation, clinicians complained that the management of patient problem lists was taking almost three times as long as it used to, due to multiple steps and an awkward workflow. The client needed the coded data for billing and analytics, so free text entry of problems was not an option, but the administration also wanted to address the concerns of providers.
They approached Genzeon for an integrated solution to streamline problem management, initially targeted at the most impacted providers in the Emergency Department. Genzeon developed a lightweight Problem Management tool which allowed providers to quickly review and update coded problem lists without navigating the EMR workflow. This tool synchronized with the EMR problem list through FHIR and alerted providers to any potential conflicts.
- Awkward EMR workflow significantly increased the time and effort involved in managing patient problem lists, resulting in provider dissatisfaction.
- Created and deployed a lightweight Problem Management screen that allowed providers to quickly review and update the problem list.
- Integrated with the EMR using FHIR.
- Significantly improved the speed and effort involved in managing patient problems.
- Improved provider satisfaction in the departments and specialties for which the solution was implemented.